Friday, January 16, 2009

facebook

I very reluctantly started a facebook account. I never had the slightest inclination to do so but my former college roommate and bestman in my wedding is a missionary in Croatia. He sent me an invitation to view his facebook that he had started. I thought it was a good way to keep up with him in between monthly letters. Little did I know that facebook cannot be viewed without having an account. So I started an account just to visit his page. I purposed to do nothing else. Again, unbeknownst to me, other people can find me on facebook. The first contact was a recent former student. Then a few high school classmates from over 30 years ago. I wouldn't call the contacts a flood but more like a steady trickle. After having an account for a few months I have been added as a friend to 49 other accounts without initiating anything myself. They all found me somehow. The trickle is definitely less now than a month ago. I couldn't imagine going steadily at adding a contact every 1.5 days. I pretty much accept anyone I recognise except young people who haven't graduated from high school. I see too many pitfalls and no advantages there. I won't be one of the " I am getting ready to eat a snack" type of poster and don't find them that interesting to read. I am considering starting a group of Salina South performing arts people. The main thing is that is has helped me reconnect with people and that is the real magic/use of facebook for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment