Saturday, March 30, 2013

Back Home

It is good to be back home. We had a nice time getting around Kansas City. I am sure we won't make as many wrong turns next time. The Hope Lodge was full so we were put in the Drury Inn in Merriam KS which was very nice. Velda didn't have to cook while we were there because it provided a complimentary hot/cold breakfast as well as dinner each night. While In Kansas City we visited the Arabia museum on a recommendation of a friend and were amazed at all the pre-Civil War artifacts recovered from a sunken river boat. Anyway, I had some tests and x-rays along with quite a few orientation meetings regarding the bone marrow transplant (BMT). We have no results yet but were told if the cancer is at least in 50% remission then the BMT will be scheduled. My transplant coordinator has set up the following schedule. Some parts of this schedule are tentative.

April 4 - Consent meeting and neupogen* shot
April 5 - Neupogen shot
April 6 - Neupogen shot
April 7 - Neupogen shot
April 8 - Stem cell collection (7.5 million minimum needed, return to Salina when sufficient number is collected)
April 9 - Stem cell collection (if needed)
April 10 - Stem cell collection (if needed)
April 15 - Melphalan chemotherapy (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most potent chemotherapy, this is a 10)
April 16 - Melphalan chemotherapy
April 17 - BMT (my stem cells are put back in my body and they begin the process of rebuilding my bone marrow)
April 18 - Monitor my blood levels, check for infections and rehabilitate in Kansas City
May 6 to 15 - When my blood levels look good, I will return to Salina to continue rehabilitation with stringent restrictions on diet and activities
July 24 - If all goes well, all restrictions will be lifted as far as my diet and activities. (Two days before my birthday!)

We will give you specific details and prayer points as each event approaches but this gives you an overview of the days to come. Thank you for praying

*Neupogen is the hormone given to me that makes the body overproduce stem cells. The body will push the extra stem cells into the blood stream where they can be harvested.

No comments:

Post a Comment