Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hurry Up and Wait

I am not going to Kansas City this week and you can throw out the schedule from the last blog as well. Talk about an emotional roller coaster again. I was informed after school today that the numbers were  not good enough to do a bone marrow transplant (BMT) at this time. There were things to which that I was not looking forward (5 hours in a relatively motionless in a recliner  level 10 chemotherapy) but I had mentally prepared myself to do. It was a disappointment to not go. While walking to the Salina cancer clinic Velda let me know that there were quite a few benefits for having it postponed. Thank God for Velda. My oncologist explained that at the beginning of my chemotherapy the original drugs were not working and we switched mid-stream. He said he is not surprised because it was like starting a month later than my actual time of beginning chemotherapy. It has been decided that I will receive at least one more round of chemotherapy which will keep me here through early May. At that time another evaluation will be made of my progress and the BMT will be rescheduled. I should fulfill most if not all of my school responsibilities not to mention being able to see my daughter Grace's vocal concert. My emotions are still swirling around a bit as I write this blog but it is starting to settle into a fairly positive attitude. My oncologist also said that  there is a lot to be positive about my numbers and he's especially glad to see the numbers pertaining to my kidneys. He didn't get to specific but spoke in general terms. I will be updating you as I go back to the routine of weekly labs and chemotherapy (and prune juice for that matter). I am especially thankful for everyday that I open my eyes in the  morning and get out of bed. Thank you for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment