Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mixed Bag

Today was my monthly checkup with my oncologist. Again most of the numbers are moving in the right direction. Another repeated theme is that the numbers are not going down fast enough. We didn't go into a lot of details today so I don't have specific numbers. A new development is that my calcium level has gone up. This is a complication because it interferes with the recovery of my kidneys. My kidney number did not fall this month but maintained. It needs to continue to fall as well. My doctor is considering giving me a drug that will take care of the calcium. The problem is that unless the kidney numbers are lower, this drug can have a detrimental effect on the kidneys. Let's see if you have been following this. My calcium level has risen. This has interfered with the recovery of my kidneys. A drug can lower the calcium level. This drug can have a detrimental effect on the kidneys when they are not functioning correctly. My kidneys are not functionally correctly. Anyone ever  here of the phrase "Catch 22"? It was quite an interesting conversation between the doctor and the nurse. I believe the plan is to watch the calcium level for now and, if need be, administer the drug at a potency that will effect the calcium level but not the kidneys. Otherwise, I continue to maintain my duties and activities in a relatively normal way. Please pray that on my journey to healing that I won't have to put another caustic chemical into my body and that Velda and I would have wisdom for the myriad of decisions that we face.

Spiritually. I am experiencing the abundant life in Christ as much now and in some respects greater than before the myeloma. God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment