Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mixed Blessings

Today is Day 25 since completing the bone marrow transplant. I had a check up on Day 21 in Kansas City. My numbers are roaring back to normal! Many of the blood components and chemistry of my body are in the normal range. (e.g. white blood cells, platelets, potassium and magnesium) This is in stark contrast to before the BMT. My body responded so slowly before the BMT that the transplant was performed 4 months after it was originally scheduled. Now my body is making a great comeback. The doctor at KU was quite pleased. Physically my body is taking its sweet time to recovery. The process cleaned out my gastro-intestinal tract as well as my bone marrow and I feel fairly weak. The stems cells are taking care of the bone marrow, my GI tract is getting little or no help to rebuild. I need to eat but have very little taste and no appetite. My digestion is not quite normal and uncomfortable at times. Our strategy is that instead of trying to eat three square meals a day that I snack (i.e. graze) all day. The most important thing is that I maintain a discipline of appreciating each day the Lord gives me while looking forward to when I will feel better.

Please pray that I eat and drink even though I can't taste the food and have no appetite. I will help my body keep pace with my internal numbers.
Please pray that I start each day with the thought that it is a day that the Lord has made and that I will rejoice and be glad in it. No matter how I feel.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for the great numbers! I will pray that everything else will catch up!

    ReplyDelete