Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Horse Latitudes

Back in the heyday of sailing ships there was a place in the Atlantic Ocean where there was rarely any wind. The ships would drift for long periods of time before getting free. While waiting, it was common for the sailors to throw overboard the livestock because they had become a detriment. It was common to see horses and other animals floating from previous vessels in the water hence the name "Horse Latitudes".

I feel like I am in the horse latitudes of the post bone marrow transplant (BMT) experience. I am fairly lethargic. I have no appetite. My taste buds are still shot. I am in a "tight bubble" meaning I cannot leave unless for a very good reason. I do laps around the first floor of my house for exercise.

On the bright side, I am at home and enjoying Velda and the girls. One of my main contributions to the household is shelling black-eyed peas from the garden. I have time to read the Bible and other things as well as pray. We've watched some interesting videos together as well.

I met with the Salina doctor today and sang his old song "Why aren't you sick?" I told him I may look fine but I don't feel so good. He assured that this was all normal transitions for post BMT. He said my numbers looked good and that things seem to be going in the right direction. It is too early to tell how effective the BMT was. We go to KU Med on Friday and will update at that time.

Please for the effectiveness of the BMT
My ability to rejoice during this time
I accept the best time to return to the classroom (and that it will be soon :D)

1 comment:

  1. God bless you, Eddie! Glad to hear the numbers are looking good. Y'all are in my prayers.
    -- Kathy Scharplaz

    P.S. I didn't know about this blog until today! I'll definitely be checking in from now on!

    ReplyDelete