Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Are you Hungry?

Lately I've been noticing that this is a time in my life when something amazing is happening. For the past month God has been giving me spiritual food like crazy. For instance, for graduation I received a Christian devotional called "Streams in the Desert." The first Sunday of January I started it and was determined to go through the whole year with it. Well in church our pastor ends his sermon with the verse Isaiah 35:6 which last words are streams in the desert. So apparently God wants to use this verse and the devotional in my life.
Also reading Amazing Grace about William Wilberforce has been amazing. He was incredible. But not only do I get to learn about him but also about other Godly characters who were his friends. I really like the determinedly tenacious Granville Sharp. He was an accomplished musician, Christian, and lawyer and often signed his name G#. This guy could play two flutes at once!
Then for my Christian online college "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life" is recommended. This book is packed with 12 essential disciplines that all Christians should practice along with practical examples and steps of how to implement them. Also my goal is to finish the biography of Hudson Taylor sometime this year. He particularly struck me with how much he would sacrifice for the advancement of God's kingdom. At one point in China he was only living on $10 a month! Also while in London he only ate twice a day and literally only bread and water.
One Christian man said if he were stranded on a desert island with only one book of the Bible to read he would want Romans. That's the book I started this morning in prayertime. Last but not least my Mom and I are starting the Perspectives class which is an intensive 15 week course about world missions and how Christians should be acting about them. My old partner in crime Ethan Greene will be attending this class with us as well and will be riding with us. With all this feeding of my spirit it will be exciting to see how God will use me to teach the lessons I'm learning and what growth will occur. Am I hungry? Oh yeah!

4 comments:

  1. Michaela,
    What a thought provoking post!
    Thanks for that!
    Are you reading any R.C. Sproul books?
    Can't wait to hear how all your classes go!
    See you soon!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you possibly help me recall who R.C. Sproul is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hudson Taylor huh? "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply."

    haha good times at CYIA, I can't hear about Hudson Taylor without thinking about them. One time Mandy told a "missionary story" in which Hudson Taylor was actually named Winnie the Pooh. That was on Talk Like An Idiot Day. I have it on film actually. It was hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good memory on the quote. My first year my partner Clay said that Zachaeus should have had Geico insurance before he climbed the tree(or something like that). That was also hilarious.

    ReplyDelete