Saturday, August 10, 2013

There's No Place Like Home

Imagine yourself hearing the Jeopardy theme in the background as I relate our last 6 days. We are simply waiting for my numbers to align in order to collect the stem cells. Each day we go to the lab. They take my vital signs (all good). They next do blood labs (all progressing in the right direction). Maybe talk to a nurse or doctor. Go back to Hope Lodge and try to occupy ourselves until the next day. Velda and I don't mind waiting because it is part of the process. Today it occurred to me that nothing special to this clinic is being done to me. So I asked. "Could the things that you have been dong to me the last 6 days be done in
Salina?" The attending nurse without hesitation said "Yes." Then why can't I go home and have these simple tests done there?" "When the numbers are right you would have to be here within 24 hours." "I could be there in 3 hours after you call me." I paused without speaking. She said "I don't know why these things couldn't be done in Salina. Ask." I intend to on Monday. They prepared us for this week of waiting at the beginning because that is the usual the time frame for the body to recover. If I had known at the time, I might have pressed this point back then. We will do whatever is the best practice. Please pray that coming home Monday falls within the parameters of best practice. I will blog again on Monday. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment